Welcome to Rob and Candy's Blog

We are going PINK- we are adopting a little girl from Ethiopia. We'll be sharing our journey to adopt our daughter!

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Blessing Bead Cards


Most of you know that I am not crafty. I normally break out in hives when I walk down a craft or scrapbook aisle. But this week I bought fancy hole punches, scrap book paper and other crafty items. What am I going to do with all these things? I am going to make Blessing Way cards.
Another adoptive mom clued me in on this West African tradition that welcomes new life. Yes, I know Ethiopia is in East Africa but I think it's a cool tradition so I am going to be making Blessing Way cards for other Ethiopian adoptive parents using our same adoption agency.
The blessing card will include a poem, prayer or blessing to the child. It also will have a bead attached to it. The card and a second bead will be sent to the adoptive parents. The parents will put the card into a scrapbook for safe keeping. The beads will be collected and then strung together. The string of beads will be given to the child when he/she is older. They can be passed down from generation to generation.
I have attached my first blessing card. All I have to do is sign it and add the bead.

6 comments:

Carpenters said...

And you say you're not crafty! Your card to Sakari looks great!

Danielle said...

Hi Rob and Candy! I'm Danielle and we entered the adoption process for the first time in September. I love the Blessing Way idea (and I can TOTALLY relate to the crafting feelings, although I appreciate/envy people who can do it!)...we actually did one for our second son and still have the wreath that we hung them all on...is this the same idea? Looking forward to getting to know you more~

Anonymous said...

Candy...it looks beautiful!!! I can't wait to put it in Sakari's book :0)

Becca David

E said...

Looks fantastic!!! Oh, and I think the blessing way is actually a blend of African and American Indian traditions. I've been to a Blessing Way ceremony here in the US and later threw a shower based on the idea. Anyway, I don't think it matters where it came from. I love the idea, too. And your card is just gorgeous.

Erica

Andrea and Peter Kidd said...

Wow, that looks awesome! Great job

Andrea

Anonymous said...

Yea Candy!! You did it! Your card looks really nice!

Tisha