Welcome to Rob and Candy's Blog

We are going PINK- we are adopting a little girl from Ethiopia. We'll be sharing our journey to adopt our daughter!

Monday, December 29, 2008

We met Henry today!

The Savages arrived this morning!  woo-hoo!! 
We had lunch at the Hilton which is so beautiful!  Then we went to the transition home.  This is the day that we have all been waiting for.  Since our group was so small they took us in to the transition home one by one for a private meeting with our children.  Henry was sound asleep when we arrived.  We took his picture while he was sleeping but we decided not to wake him up. We played with some of the other children who were not napping until Henry woke up.   
When Henry finally woke up Rob picked him up and he cried.  I held him and he cried... he really wanted a nanny not us.  We were prepared for this reaction but it broke my heart, not for me but for Henry.  He finally feels safe in the Transition Home and now we are here to take him home.  Henry will have to deal with another loss in his life and he is not quite 2 years old.  The good news is he is attached to his nanny so he should attach to us over time. 
The nanny brought me a sippy cup but Henry was not interested in it.  She brought me a bottle and Henry's eye lit up. I fed Henry the bottle which helped him calm down.  I tried feeding Henry Cheerios.  Henry was not interested in the Cheerios until Sherry's little boy walked over and wanted some.  My boy got jealous.... jealous of sharing food or sharing me?  It's probably the food but I liked to see that he had an opinion.  Rob tried to carry Henry on several occasions.  Henry cried with him too.  I took Henry outside without the older children and the nannies within sight.  Henry finally held on to me and was much more comfortable being with me which is a sweet feeling. 
I blew bubbles to see if Henry would be interested.  He was not but many of the toddlers loved them.  I have some sweet pictures of your toddler children chasing bubbles.   
The new transition home is very large and has lots of room for the children to play.  The doctor was checking on the children while we were there.   He went over Henry's medical record and his concerns with me.  Henry has a cold which needs to be treated now before it drops into his lungs which is typical in this climate.  I brought all the medication the doctor recommended so we will be able to treat him tomorrow when we pick him up.  We will need to take him to the doctor as soon as we arrive home. 
All in all we had a good day at the transition home.  we will go back tomorrow to pick up our children!
In a few minutes we are going out for traditional Ethiopian food.  My tummy is not ready for Ethiopian food but I will go with the group to see the dancing.  More later!


Jori said...

Praying you are feeling better ~ praying for bonding and praying for Igor!
love, jori

Dietrich & Amy Lusse said...

OH Candy! To finally see that post! That one you've been waiting soooo long to make! We are so happy for you!
Praying for your health and the rest of your time there with love,

shawn and tisha said...

Yay! You met Henry!! :) Praying for all of you to be healthy.