Welcome to Rob and Candy's Blog

We are going PINK- we are adopting a little girl from Ethiopia. We'll be sharing our journey to adopt our daughter!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Sudan

I have been thinking about Africa, Ethiopia, orphans for a while now. I really feel the need to do something but it is easier said than done since I have a toddler who demands most of my day.
I needed to do something that only takes a minute so I wrote UN officials. The letter encouraged them to press the government of Sudan to immediately reverse its decision to expel humanitarian aid agencies (more about Darfur below). You can join me- click here. The letter is already written all you have to do is add your name and address. I know the situation is Sudan is complicated. Will my letter along with thousands others change what is happening in Sudan? We won't know unless we try.

In Darfur alone some 4.7 million people rely on aid. The agencies' departure will leave 1.1 million people there without food, 1.5 million without medical care and more than 1 million without drinking water, the United Nations says. "The very life bridge to the people of Darfur is threatened now ... so this creates a new kind of hell for the people of Darfur," U.N. World Food Programme executive director Josette Sheeran told AlertNet.

1 comment:

Rebecca Caldwell said...

Way to go! I read about this also and was so frustrated! But, I didn't write a letter. Thank you for being proactive! Now I better get to writing!