Welcome to Rob and Candy's Blog

We are going PINK- we are adopting a little girl from Ethiopia. We'll be sharing our journey to adopt our daughter!

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Igor goes to art school

After months of talking about it, Rob and I finally enrolled Igor in art school. Igor has painted numerous canvases. He loves to paint and seems to be gifted in this area so we thought Igor would love the idea. When we mentioned the class to Igor he was really upset, he really wants a break from school on the weekends. We explained it won't be the same as school, he will get to draw and paint for 90 minutes without Henry interrupting. He agreed to try one class.

This morning I took Igor to his art class. The teacher reminds me a little bit of Ms. Joya, his nursery school teacher, except she is more animated. She uses the following words: nurture, imagination, create, explore, sensitive.... I knew Igor would love the class. The teacher plays classical music in the background while the children draw a picture to warm up their fingers then they paint or draw with charcoal or pastels.

Today Igor started painting a green meadow with a brilliant orange sky. I was really impressed. The teacher helped him match the colors for a striking contrast. She said that Igor is painting in the Picasso style- meaning layering of colors. I'm not a fan of Picasso's painting but I don't think Igor's painting will look anything like a Picasso. I cannot wait to see the finished piece next month.

4 comments:

Allison said...

Oh my! I can't wait to see it either. I am pretty sure that I saw one of Igor's paintings at the Orphan's Ticket Home gala in San Antonio last November. Am I right? If so, I couldn't look at it very long, it made me cry. It was very beautiful. What a blessing to know you love something so early in life, and to have parents that are willing to encourage and foster that. Very cool!

tisha said...

That's great! It sounds like his painting is going to be really awesome.

I'm with you on Picasso (not a fan), but layering of colors is nice. I've always liked all of Igor's artwork that you've shown on here and it's so great that he's getting this chance to further develope his talent. :)
Tisha

E said...

That is wonderful!

You know, I never liked Picasso until I went to this art exhibition and then I decided I now love Picasso's work. And...from what I've seen, I'm a big fan of Igor's work. :)

I think I should look into this for Eben. He's not into art, but I think he'd really enjoy a class like this...sounds fantastic. Why can't I live near you so I can copy all your great ideas?!

Love,
Erica

ethiHOPEia said...

Oh! This sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to see what comes of the class!
Blessings,
Hilary